The Perth Swing Dance Society (PSDS) is a non-profit organisation, committed to actively promoting swing dancing, its music and culture in Western Australia.
Oz Big Band’s 35th Anniversary Celebration
Join us to celebrate our 35th year creating seismic waves of joy and energy for dancers and music lovers all over Australia!
The evening will be filled with memories and our favourite tunes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s in an atmosphere where a glass of wine (or 3!!!) can be enjoyed from Lyric Lane’s extensive cellar.
35 years young, we have plenty to celebrate:
- Popularity amongst the Lindy Hop and Swing Dance scenes around Australia, known for our authenticity.
- 2017 was the tenth consecutive year Oz presented as a feature act for Perth’s Swing Dance festival, Hullabaloo – The Perth Lindy Exchange. This event has provided a platform for the band to play with internationally renowned jazz vocalists Jessie Gordon, Hetty Kate and Libby Hammer, among others.
- Support of community welfare in the band’s engagement with Perth Swing Dance Society’s event of 2016, ‘Swing Dancers against Domestic Violence’.
- The Melbourne Lindy Exchange, Australia’s biggest annual Swing Dance festival, has hosted Oz 6 out of the last 10 years – a real achievement considering the event has the whole country from which to source its live music.
- In addition to the above, Oz have appeared at other live music venues including, The Ellington; Newport Hotel; Dizzy’s Jazz Club; The Spotted Mallard; The Retreat Hotel; Paris Cat Jazz Club; The Jazzlab; big band festivals; council events (e.g. Northbridge Piazza); Jazz Fremantle at the Navy Club; regional events; private and corporate functions; and, the opening show for the International Burlesque Festival.
- The band’s reputation has also allowed it to collaborate with various local and visiting jazz artists, including John Morrison, Wilbur Wilde and Rob Buckland.
- Last, but not least, one of the band’s greatest achievements is the calibre of its members. Comprising of non- and semi-professional musicians, Oz Big Band fosters a fun, friendly and supportive environment and a high standard and authenticity in their musicianship.